Welcome to Weare, NH
Weare is one of the largest towns in area in the state of New Hampshire. Its first one hundred thirty-eight years saw the development of mills and factories, tanneries, and creameries along the Piscataquog River from Lake Horace to what is now Riverdale. Smaller mills and tanneries dotted its many brooks. Manufacturing in the late 1700's and early 1800's surpassed that of Manchester. In 1810 the population of Weare was 2,634. Manchester's was 615.
Weare had many small villages: Riverdale (formerly Oil Mill Village), Tavern Village, East Weare, Sugar Hill, Rockland, North Weare, Chase Village, Slab City, Clinton Grove, and Weare Center. Weare's farms were diversified. Main income producers were dairy, sheep, poultry, fruit farming, and bark for its many tanneries.
Manufacturing and farming on a large scale have declined. Much of the farmland has been turned into house lots. Instead of a local manufacturing economy we have a service based economy with auto repair shops, gas stations, beauty parlors, gift shops, banks, bookkeeping, financial services, restaurants, deli's, and campgrounds.
Weare has changed in many ways over the years but in others remains the same. Its lakes, ponds, brooks, forests, mountains, and hills still create the rural atmosphere that so many cherish.