The Weare Police Department, a progressive, decentralized community-based police agency, takes great pride in the achievements of its sworn and civilian staff members, as well as in the department's pioneering role in developing ongoing police-community partnerships. Our focus is on preserving the peace. We are interested in attracting applicants who have demonstrated commitment to the community, want to help prevent crime, arrest those who violate the law, and reduce fear and disorder throughout the town.
Weare Police Department Employment Opportunities
Ideal Applicants Will Have:
- A history of community service;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills using English language;
- The ability to share creative approaches to strengthen bonds with citizens as we work toward common goals;
- Community/technical college or university background and/or significant work experience;
- Computer proficiency;
- Respect for and ability to work well with colleagues and citizens regardless of race/ethnicity, gender, age, or personal beliefs;
- Enthusiasm for hard and rewarding work; and,
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work under stressful conditions.
Minimum Requirements Are:
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of appointment (there is no upper age limit);
- Strong verbal and written communications skills using English language;
- Must have at least a high school diploma or GED, although additional education and work experience are strongly preferred;
- Must be a born or naturalized U.S. citizen;
- No felony, Class A or B misdemeanor convictions;
- Must possess a valid driver's license from the State of New Hampshire or reciprocal state.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Comprehensive medical coverage/ dental coverage for each officer and his/her family.
- Competitive starting salary.
- Generous twenty-five (25) year retirement plan.
- Paid life insurance policy.
- Ten paid holidays.
- Paid vacation.
- Uniforms and equipment provided.
About The Academy: The Police Standards and Training Council was created by the New Hampshire Legislature in 1971. It is the sole source of basic training, and the primary source of in-service training for all law enforcement officers in the State of New Hampshire.
The Council currently certifies almost 4,000 police officers, both full and part-time, employed by the state, counties, and municipalities, and trains or certifies almost 475 sworn and employees of the Department of Corrections.
New recruits attend the academy for sixteen weeks, during which time they are paid the Weare Police Department's entry level pay for police officers.
Proficiency in a wide variety of subject areas is required, and 80% average is the minimum passing grade. The academy training includes a broad range of academic instruction and preparation for a career in police service. Physical agility and chain of command are also taught and monitored regularly.
Rigorous personal and ethical standards are upheld and the ethical, emotional and suitability standards of all students are routinely monitored and evaluated by academy staff. Upon successful completion of the academy, graduates continue the probationary process in the Department's Field Training Officer (FTO) Program for approximately 16 weeks. Probationary officers are matched with a series of experienced FTO's in a structured teaching and mentoring on-the-job evaluation program.
Females and Minorities are encouraged to apply. The Weare Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.