Home Calendar Forms Town History Town Directory Local Organizations Contact Us

 

Agricultural Commission
Assessing Department
Bids&RFPs     
Board of Fire Wards
Board of Selectmen's Office
2013 Boards Commissions and Committees
Building Committee
Building Department
Cable Committee
Cemetery Trustees
CIP Subcommittee
Conservation Commission
Economic Development
Elections     
Emergency Management Director
Employment                       Opportunities      
Finance Committee
Finance Department
Fire Department
General John Stark Scenic & Cultural Byway Council
Heritage Commission
Land Use Department
Library
Library Trustees
Meeting Minutes
Misc. Links & Information
Open Space Committee
Ordinances
Parks and Recreation    
Planning Board
Police Department
Public Hearings 
Public Notice 
Public Works 
School System
Tax Collector 
Town Administrator
Town Clerk  
Town Map
Trustees of the Trust Funds
Welfare Department
Zoning Board

Town of Weare Public Library

              


Mon & Thur 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Tues & Wed 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sat   9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
  Closed Fri & Sun, also Sat during the summer

Phone

603- 529-2044
Library Director Christine Hague

http:/wearepl.wordpress.com/

The earliest record of a library in Weare is noted in William Little's History of Weare, New Hampshire, published in 1888. The South Weare Social Library was incorporated on December 7, 1793, housing its 90 volumes in a private home. On June 25, 1829, the state legislature incorporated the Weare Union Library of Weare Center.

Weare established a free library in 1892 in compliance with state statutes passed the previous year. The book collection outgrew several locations, finally arriving at a building on East Road in Weare Center. This building, constructed with money left by Eben L. Paige, was dedicated in 1927 and remains in use today as a part of the expanded Weare Public Library.

Today's Library is the result of a two-phase building project begun in May, 1991. An addition to the north side of the old building moved the library entrance to Paige Memorial Lane. Phase I, the adult section on the present library's main floor, officially opened in September, 1991. Upon completion of Phase II, a reception held on February 7, 1993, dedicated the public meeting room on the lower level to Emma Sawyer. The children's room, also on the lower level, opened in June, 1993. Expansion has provided space for the library's book collection, which exceeds 19,000 volumes and for programs such as children's story times, adult meetings and discussion groups.

The library's support group, Friends of the Weare Public Library, raises funds for programs and equipment to enhance library services. The group sponsors a book and bake sale in September and organizes book discussions and other library-related activities.